Message Board User's Guide, Rules of Engagement, Posting Photos

 
Register  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 20 of 20     «   Prev   17   18   19   20
JohnKerins66

Avatar / Picture

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 2,485
Reply with quote  #286 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b
Quote:
By the way, 'declaring' debates over is a way stifling discussions long employed by socialists and seemingly now spreading throughout the left.


What the hell are you talking about? No one declared the debate over but then when everyone sees as intuitively obvious the conclusion, the burden of proof rests on the dissenter. Like Creationism vs Evolution.....prove that the body of evidence that seems so weighted in one direction is in fact in error.

That’s an in creditable amount of misinformation in one statement, even for you.  Surely, you remember Al Gore's statement while being interview by George Stephanopolus in the  summer of 06,  “...the debate in the scientific community is over." 
 
Has evolution explained the creation of life yet? Have they any evidence of how life came to be? Or are they still relying on theroy for that, as others rely on faith?
 
In checking to make sure I had the quote correct (that's verifying my facts before posting them, something you may want to try SOMEDAY) I found some wonderful articles. Clearly, the your conclusion isn’t ' intuitively obvious'  - a strange term for scientific research -  to everyone.
 
Here is  one article I especially recommend to Ken;
 
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Facts&ContentRecord_id=5E3E21F5-1B4C-4208-912D-87D0A5BA342B&IsPrint=true
 
some commentary on that article; 
 
http://newsbusters.org/node/6231
 
and an interesting video.
 
http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=DRaeEIN5Sh8&eurl=http%3A//www.heartland.org/Article.cfm%3FartId%3D19551&iurl=http%3A//img.youtube.com/vi/DRaeEIN5Sh8/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskI_L67x87Py5NbjW8fC3RrF&rel=1&border=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b
Quote:
As far as 'settled science' back in the 70's the coming ice age was settled science and advanced


To compare a report by a few scientists in 1970 absent the computational tools or knowledge we have now to the overwhelming body of evidence presented to support human caused climate change is just typical distraction and redirection....not intelligent pursuit of knowledge. In other words...that was hardly settled science....

 
You claim that only "a few" of scientists in the 70's felt we were heading for a new ice age is belied by the fact that TIME Magazine thought it news worthy enough  to carry "Another Ice Age?" in their June 24, 1974 issue.
 
 
http://www.google.com/custom?domains=JunkScience.com&q=another+ice+age&sitesearch=JunkScience.com&sa=Google+Search&client=pub-3841204415070352&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&safe=active&cof=GALT%3A%230066CC%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23999999%3BVLC%3A336633%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3AFF9900%3BALC%3A0066CC%3BLC%3A0066CC%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A666666%3BGIMP%3A666666%3BFORID%3A1&hl=en

And I can assure the caliber of the scientist preaching Global Cooling back then is equal to that of those screeching Global Warming today? In fact many are the exact same scientists.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laquna_b
Quote:
And it certainly has contributed to our not having been attacked in the last six years


You have proof of this? If so why has the NIE consistently said that our foul play in Iraq has made us LESS safe? You must have a better source???


The same NIE, that  you are so fond of saying has said the world is now less safe, while  you omit that in the same report the NIE said we have no alternative but to fight, and Iraq is a key battlefield and extremly important to al Qaeda,  has also said among other things that,

"In the years since 9/11, successive detainees have helped us and our allies gauge our progress in the fight against al-Qa'ida by providing updated information on the changing structure and health of the organization. "
 
"The detention of terrorists disrupts — at least temporarily — the plots they were involved in, saving the lives not only of Americans but also of countless of men, women, and children around the globe:"
 
"Detainees have provided names approximately 86 individuals — many of whom we had never heard of before — that al-Qa'ida has deemed suitable for Western operations. We have shared these names broadly within the US intelligence and law enforcement communities and with key partners overseas. Nearly half these individuals have been removed from the battlefield by the US and its allies."
 
Additionally I've spoken with an army officer who was the S-3, that's battalion intelligence, at Fallujah in 04.  He told me and a few others that they had sent a' fair bit of quality intel up the chain'. 'Not just to do with Iraq ops, but a lot of it external.' He went on to say how surprised they were that such quality information was left in Fallujah after al Qaeda knew they were about to be attacked. But it seems it wasn't too unususal for 'actionable information' to be left lying around.

That all certainly equates to lives having been saved here!


__________________

John 8:32
Veritas vos Liberabit
laguna_b

Avatar / Picture

Century Club
Registered:
Posts: 2,912
Reply with quote  #287 
Quote:
Has evolution explained the creation of life yet? Have they any evidence of how life came to be? Or are they still relying on theroy for that, as others rely on faith?


Faith is NOT science...it is PURE fantasy. Saying things were created...MAGIC...is NOT an explanation. I find it amazing that those that beleive in Noah's Ark, and the Tower of Babel all ludicrous stories without the least bit of science, are so quick to question the unfolding and very robust science of things like evolution. A story replete with mythical "miracles" has more validity than what you an I can observe. AMAZING!

Quote:
And I can assure the caliber of the scientist preaching Global Cooling back then is equal to that of those screeching Global Warming today? In fact many are the exact same scientists.


SHOW ME THEN!

Quote:
Iraq is a key battlefield and extremly important to al Qaeda, has also said among other things that,


There was NO AL QUEDA in Iraq UNTIL we invaded...and our presence in Iraq is cited as exacerbating our image and used for recruiting purposes.

But then that is strategy.....not a strong point for you and your Chimp. Time has certainly shown that.....

We are So secure under the Chimp....we had all those illegals working in SECURE sections of Chicagos airport as previously cited and just today http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071115/ts_nm/aviation_security_dc_1;_ylt=AgBIxMDO_btyDvrqCvwg8skE1vAI
we see this report.....
We are LUCKY not safe.


__________________
REAL Patriots Defend The Constitution!
JohnKerins66

Avatar / Picture

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 2,485
Reply with quote  #288 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b
Quote:
Has evolution explained the creation of life yet? Have they any evidence of how life came to be? Or are they still relying on theroy for that, as others rely on faith?


Faith is NOT science...it is PURE fantasy. Saying things were created...MAGIC...is NOT an explanation.

 

Barry, earlier you posted,  “ … prove that the body of evidence that seems so weighted in one direction is in fact in error.”  What is that body of evidence that evolutionist put forward regarding how life sprung forth?  Indeed what is ANY EVIDENCE as to how life began? Not how it developed once it came to be, but how it came to be? I know one THEROY put forth that has to do with lightening striking a mud puddle or such.  Accepting that would take a quite a leap of FAITH! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b
Quote:
And I can assure the caliber of the scientist preaching Global Cooling back then is equal to that of those screeching Global Warming today? In fact many are the exact same scientists.


SHOW ME THEN!

 

 

James Hansen now referred to as “the father of global warming” was cited in the Washington Post in 1971 as a key research associate on a project that concluded, on the basis of a computer program he devised, that “a new ice age”, as the headline put it, was less then 50 years off.

 

Here is link to some of Dr. Hansen’s more recent hypes, excuse me perditions and their accuracy, or lack there off.

 

http://newsbusters.org/node/13114

 

Incidentally, recently Hansen has changed his tune again somewhat and has said, "The burning of fossil fuels produces a pall of particle haze that reflects as much of the sun's energy back into space as the release of carbon dioxide has trapped in the air", at least according to the he New York Times. And that prompted Ken Green of the Reason Public Policy Institute to state, “Had anyone followed Hansen’s policy prescriptions 10 years ago the wasted resources would be in the billions, for no gain, and in fact, could have exacerbated the problem, if there is a problem.”

 

I guess Hansen’s called the father of global warming because of all the hot air he emits and has for over 30 years now.

 

Today climatologist Stephen Schneider is referred to as ‘global warming’s salesman’ because of his statements like, "To capture the public imagination, we have to offer up some scary scenarios, make simplified dramatic statements and little mention of any doubts one might have. Each of us has to decide the right balance between being effective, and being honest" (Talk about hyping Kool Aid! Oh well, at least Barry’s buying hook line and sinker.) But in the 70’s Schneider was singing a different tune than he sings today. “There is a finite possibility that a serious worldwide cooling could befall the Earth within the next 100 years.”

 

Such consistencies certainly engender confidence, unless of course you actually think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguna_b
Quote:
Iraq is a key battlefield and extremly important to al Qaeda, has also said among other things that,


There was NO AL QUEDA in Iraq UNTIL we invaded...and our presence in Iraq is cited as exacerbating our image and used for recruiting purposes.

But then that is strategy.....not a strong point for you and your Chimp. Time has certainly shown that.....

We are So secure under the Chimp....we had all those illegals working in SECURE sections of Chicagos airport as previously cited and just today http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071115/ts_nm/aviation_security_dc_1;_ylt=AgBIxMDO_btyDvrqCvwg8skE1vAI
we see this report.....
We are LUCKY not safe.

 

You repeatedly make that assumption, but there is an abundance of evidence that Saddam had some ties with al Qaeda and was seeking to expand them, for example the 911 Commission Report and various NIC summaries. Regardless, they are there now and winning in Iraq is paramount to their strategy. Defeating them there should be paramount to us.

 

If al Qaeda wasn't so engaged in Iraq, where do you think they would be and what would they be doing? Sitting around a campfire in the desert sing Kumbaya? I guess you suppose there were no Islamist fanatics before we liberated Iraq?

 

We haven’t been successfully attacked in over six year. Luck helps, but it’s more than luck! Of course your BDS clouds you perception of reality.  But I’m sure your strategy of blaming the president for everything and… well that seem to be your only strategy, and that certainly won’t keep the country safe. 


__________________

John 8:32
Veritas vos Liberabit
BroJoe

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 1,262
Reply with quote  #289 

change of pace here -

Dear Lord,???????????????????

Every single evening

As I'm lying here in bed,

This tiny little Prayer

Keeps running through my head:

God bless all my family

Wherever they may be,

Keep them warm and safe from harm

For they're so close to me.

And God, there is one more thing

I wish that you could do;

Hope you don't mind me asking,

Please bless my computer too

Now I know that it's unusual

To Bless a motherboard,

But listen just a second

While I explain it to you, Lord.

You see, that little metal box

Holds more than odds and ends;

Inside those small compartments

Rest so many of my friends.

I know so much about them

By the kindness that they give,

And this little scrap of metal

Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them

Much the same as you,

We share in what life brings us

And from that our friendships grew.

Please take an extra minute

From your duties up above,

To bless those in my address book

That's filled with so much love.

Wherever else this prayer may reach

To each and every friend,

Bless each e-mail inbox

And each person who hits "send."

When you update your Heavenly list

On your own Great CD-ROM,

Bless everyone who says this prayer

Sent up to GOD.com.

Amen

 

 

 


__________________
Bro. Joe
BroJoe

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 1,262
Reply with quote  #290 



Welcome to Bawstin (Boston)

For those of you who have never been to "Bawstin", this is a good guideline. I hope you will consider coming to "Beantown" in the near future. For those who call New England home, this is just plain great!
Information on Boston and the surrounding area:


There's no school on School Street, no court on Court Street, no dock on Dock Square, no water on Water Street. Back Bay streets are in alphabetical "oddah": Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, etc. So are South Boston streets: A, B, C, D, etc.

 
If the streets ! are nam ed after trees (e.g. Walnut, Chestnut, Cedar), you're on Beacon Hill. If they're named after poets, you're in Wellesley.
Massachusetts Ave is Mass Ave; Commonwealth Ave is Comm Ave; South Boston is Southie. The South End is the South End.  East Boston is Eastie. The North End is east of the former West End. The West End and Scollay Square are no more; a guy named Rappaport got rid of them one night. Roxbury is The Burry, Jamaica Plain is J.P.

How to say these Massachusetts city names correctly:
**Say it wrong, be shunned**
Worcester: Wuhsta

Gloucester : Glawsta
Leicester Lesta
Woburn: Wooban
Dedham : Dead-um
Revere: Re-vee-ah
Quincy: Quinzee
Tewksbury : Tooks berry
Leominster : Lemin-sta
Peabody: Pee-ba-dee
Wal tham : Walth-ham
Chatham: Chaddum
Samoset: Sam-oh-set or Sum-aw-set but nevah Summerset!

Definitions:
Frappes have ice cream, milkshakes d! on't.If it is fizzy and flavored, it's tonic.
Soda is CLUB SODA.
"Pop" is Dad.
When we want Tonic WATER, we will ask for Tonic WATER.
The smallest beer is a pint.


Scrod is whatever they tell you it is, usually fish. If you paid more than $6/pound, you got scrod.


It's not a water fountain; it's a bubblah.
It's not a trashcan; it's a barrel.
It's not a spucky, a hero or grinder,... it's a sub.
It's not a shopping cart; it's a carriage.
It's not a purse; it's a pockabook.
They're not franks; they're haht dahgs; Franks are money in Switzahland.

Police don't drive patrol units or black and whites they drive a "crooza". If you take the bus, you're on the "looza crooza".

 
It's not a rubber band, it's an elastic. It's not a traffic circle, it's a rotary. "Going to the islands" means Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket.

The Sox = The Red Sox  WORLD SERIES WINNAHS!
The C's = The Celtics
The B's = The Bruins

Things not to do:

Don't pahk your cah in Hahvid Yahd--they'll tow it to Meffa (Medford) or Summahville (Somerville).
Don't sleep on the Common. (Boston Common)
Don't wear Orange in Southie on St. Patrick's Day.

Things you should know:

There are two State Houses, two City Halls, two courthouses, two Hancock buildings (on! e old, one new for each).

The colored lights on top the old Hancock tell the weatha:
"Solid blue, clear view...."
"Flashing blue, clouds due...."
"Solid red, rain ahead...."
"Flashing red, snow instead...." - (except in summer--flashing red means the Red Sox game was rained out)


Route 128 is also I-95 south. It's also I-93 north.  Most people live here all their life and still don't know what the hell is going on with this one.


The underground train is not a subway. It's the "T", and it doesn't run all night (fah chrysakes, this ain't Noo Yawk).
Order the "cold tea" in China Town after 2:00 am you'll get a kettle full of beer.

Bostonians... think that it's their God-given right to cut off someone in traffic.
Bostonians...think that there are only 25 letters in the alphabet (no R's).
Bostonians...think that three straight days of 90+ temperatures is a heat wave.
Bostonians...refer to six inches of snow as a "dusting."
Bostonians...always "bang a left" as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic alwa! ys expe cts it.
Bostonians...believe that using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.
Bostonians...think that 63-degree ocean water is warm.
Bostonians...think Rhode Island accents are annoying



 

__________________
Bro. Joe
BroJoe

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 1,262
Reply with quote  #291 

 


A  little boy asked his mother, "Why are you crying?" "Because I'm a woman," 
she told him. 

"I  don't understand," he said. His Mom just hugged him and said, "And you
never  will." 

Later  the little boy asked his father, "Why does mother seem to cry for no 
reason?" 

"All  women cry for no reason," was all his dad could  say. 

The  little boy grew up and became a man, still wondering why women  cry. 

Finally  he put in a call to God. When God got on the phone, he asked, "God,
why do  women cry so easily?"

God  said: 

"When  I made the woman she had to be special. 

I  made her shoulders strong enough to carry the weight of the  world, 

yet  gentle enough to give comfort 

I  gave her an inner strength to endure childbirth and the rejection that
many  times comes from her children. 

I  gave her a hardness that allows her to keep going when everyone else gives
up, and take care of her family through sickness and fatigue with out 
complaining. 

I  gave her the sensitivity to love her children under any and all 
circumstances, even when her child has hurt her very  badly. 

I  gave her strength to carry her husband through his faults and fashioned
her  from his rib to protect his heart. 

I  gave her wisdom to know that a good husband never hurts his wife, but 
sometimes tests her strengths and her resolve to stand beside him  unfalteringly.


And  finally, I gave her a tear to shed. This is hers exclusively to use
whenever  it is needed." 

"You  see my son," said God, "the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she
wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her  hair. 

The  beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway
to  her heart - the place where love resides."  



__________________
Bro. Joe
BroJoe

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 1,262
Reply with quote  #292 
from a '65 Grad -

 

And it's winter before we know it....

 

REFLECTIONS

 

You know, time has a way of moving too quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years.

It seems only yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. And yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went.  I know that I lived them all and I have glimpses of how things were back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

 

But, here it is ... the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise!

 

How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my babies go? And where did my youth go?

I remember well, seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that my winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like. 

 

But, here it is ... we're retired now and we both are getting gray ... we move slower and I see in us those older folks I used to see that we never thought we'd be. We’re not in such bad shape considering our years ... but, I see the great changes and our winter is upon us.

 

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore.  Some days it's mandatory because if I don't nap on my own free will I just fall asleep where I sit! And so, now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do all the things I love .

But, at least I know, that though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last, this much I know, that when it's over, it’s over. Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done. Things I should have done. But indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It is all in a lifetime of living and loving.

So, if you're not in your winter yet, let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you ever thought possible. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly!

Life goes by swiftly so, do what you can today, because you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not!

You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life.  So, live for good today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember.

“Life is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.”

LIVE IT WELL,

MY FRIEND!!





__________________
Bro. Joe
Tony71

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,496
Reply with quote  #293 
With Christmas coming, here's where to get find some bargain batteries.

http://gprime.net/video.php/savealotofmoneyonbatteries



__________________
Tony
laguna_b

Avatar / Picture

Century Club
Registered:
Posts: 2,912
Reply with quote  #294 
Don't try this at home



__________________
REAL Patriots Defend The Constitution!
BroJoe

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 1,262
Reply with quote  #295 

Santa and an Adventure With Grandma

I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma.
I was just a kid.
I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on the day my big
sister dropped  the bomb:
"There is no Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know  that!"

My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been.
I fled to her that day because I knew she would be straight with me.
I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I knew that the truth always went
down a whole lot easier when
swallowed with one of her world-famous cinnamon buns.
I knew they were world-famous, because Grandma said so.
It had to be  true.

Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm.
Between bites, I  told her everything. She was ready for me.
"No Santa Claus!" she  snorted. "Ridiculous!
Don't believe it. That rumor has been going around  for years, and it makes
me mad, plain mad.
Now, put on your coat, and  let's go."

"Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked.
I hadn't even finished my second world-famous, cinnamon bun.
"Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store,
the one store in town that had a little bit of just about everything.
As we walked through its doors, Grandma handed me ten dollars.
That was a bundle in those days.
"Take this money," she said,  "and buy something for someone who needs it.

I'll wait for you in the car."
Then she turned and walked out of Kerby's.

I was only eight years old.
I'd often gone shopping with my mother, but never had I shopped for anything
all by myself.
The store seemed big and crowded, full of  people scrambling to finish their
Christmas shopping.
For a few moments I just stood there, confused, clutching that ten- dollar
bill,
wondering what to buy, and who on earth to buy it for.

I thought  of everybody I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors, the
kids at school, the people who went to my church.
I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of Bobby Decker.
He  was a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and he sat right behind me in
Mrs. Pollock's grade-two class.
Bobby Decker didn't have a coat.
I knew that because he never went out for recess during the winter.
His mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that he had a cough, but
all we kids knew that,
Bobby Decker didn't have a cough, and he didn't have a coat.
I fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing excitement.
I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!

I  settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it.
It looked real warm, and he would like that.
"Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind the counter asked
kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down.
"Yes," I  replied shyly. "It's . for Bobby."
The nice lady smiled at me.
I didn't get any change, but she put the coat in a bag and wished me a Merry
Christmas.

That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat in Christmas paper and ribbons
(a little tag fell out of the coat, and Grandma tucked it in her Bible) and
wrote,
"To Bobby,
From Santa  Claus",  on it --
Grandma said that Santa always insisted on secrecy.
Then she drove me over to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went that I
was now and forever officially one of Santa's helpers.

Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she and I crept
noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his front walk. Then Grandma gave me a
nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going."

I took a deep breath, dashed for his front door, threw the  present down on
his step,
pounded his door and flew back to the safety of the bushes and Grandma.
Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the front door to open.
Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.

ifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments spent shivering,
eside my Grandma, in Bobby Decker's bushes.
That night, I realized that those awful rumors about Santa Claus were just
what Grandma said they were:  "Ridiculous".
Santa was alive and well, and we were on his team


He who has no Christmas in his heart will never find Christmas under a tree.
   Amen.

"Life is God's gift to you.
The way you live your life is your gift to
God.
"Make it a fantastic one."
LIVE IT WELL!!
~author unknown~



__________________
Bro. Joe
Tony71

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,496
Reply with quote  #296 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony71
With Christmas coming, here's where to get find some bargain batteries.

http://gprime.net/video.php/savealotofmoneyonbatteries








Insane Car Battery Hack! - Click here for more home videos

__________________
Tony
BroJoe

SPONSOR
Registered:
Posts: 1,262
Reply with quote  #297 


 

Just  in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly change 
things. 
The  people  who are starting college this fall across the nation were born 
in 1988. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing  up.  
Their  lifetime has always included AIDS. 
The  CD was  introduced the year they were born.  
They  have  always had an answering machine. 
They  have  always had cable. 
Jay  Leno has  always been on the Tonight Show. 
Popcorn  has always been cooked in the  microwave.  
They  never  took a swim and thought about Jaws. 
They  don't  know who Mork was or where he was  from.  
They  never  heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or 
"de plane Boss,  de plane". 
McDonald's  never  came in Styrofoam containers. 
They  don't  have a clue how to use a typewriter.  
Do  you  feel old yet? (Sorry) Pass this on to the other old fogies on your 
list.  Notice the larger type, that's for those of you who have trouble 
reading.  



__________________
Bro. Joe
Tony71

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 1,496
Reply with quote  #298 

11 "Don't-Tell-the-Wife" Secrets All Men Keep

WebMD Feature from "Redbook" Magazine

By Ty Wenger

I was in the ninth grade when I learned a vital lesson about love. My girlfriend at the time, Amy, was stunningly cute, frighteningly smart and armed with a seemingly endless supply of form-fitting angora sweaters. And me? Let's just say I was an adolescent Chris Robinson to her budding Kate Hudson -- and well aware of my good fortune.

Then one day, as we stood in line for a movie at the mall, Simone Shaw, junior high prom queen, sauntered by. Suddenly Amy turned to me. "Were you looking at her?" she asked. "Do you think she's pretty?"

My mind reeled. Of course I was looking at her! Of course she was pretty! My God, she was Simone Shaw! I paused for a second, then decided to play it straight.

"Well, yeah," I chortled.

Five days later our breakup hit the tabloids (a.k.a. the lunchroom).

There comes a time in every man's life when he discovers the value of hiding the grosser parts of his nature. He starts reciting the sweet nothings you long to hear: "No, honey, I play golf for the exercise." "No, honey, I think you're a great driver." "No, honey, I wasn't looking at that coed washing the car in the rain."

We're not lying, exactly. We're just making things...easier. But Glenn Good, Ph.D., a relationship counselor, disagrees, and maybe he has a point. "These white lies are pretty innocent, but they can turn confusing," he says. "Many women think, If he's lying about himself, is he also lying about something else? Is he having an affair? To establish trust you have to tell the truth about the innocuous stuff."

And so, in the interest of uniting the sexes, we've scoured the country for guys willing to share the private truths they wouldn't normally confess. Some are a bit crass. Some you've always suspected. Some are surprisingly sweet. (Guys don't like to reveal the mushy stuff, either.) But read on, and you may discover that the truth about men isn't all that ugly.

Secret #1: Yes, we fall in lust 10 times a day -- but it doesn't mean we want to leave you

If the oldest question in history is "What's for dinner?" the second oldest is "Were you looking at her?" The answer: Yes -- yes, we were. If you're sure your man doesn't look, it only means he possesses acute peripheral vision.

"When a woman walks by, even if I'm with my girlfriend, my vision picks it up," says Doug LaFlamme, 28, of Laguna Hills, California. "I fight the urge to look, but I just have to. I'm really in trouble if the woman walking by has a low-cut top on."

Granted, we men are well aware that our sizing up the produce doesn't sit well with you, given that we've already gone through the checkout line together. But our passing glances pose no threat.

"It's not that I want to make a move on her," says LaFlamme. "Looking at other women is like a radar that just won't turn off."

Secret #2: We actually do play golf to get away from you

More than 21 million American men play at least one round of golf a year; of those, an astounding 75 percent regularly shoot worse than 90 strokes a round. In other words, they stink. The point is this: "Going golfing" is not really about golf. It's about you, the house, the kids -- and the absence thereof.

"I certainly don't play because I find it relaxing and enjoyable," admits Roland Buckingham, 32, of Lewes, Delaware, whose usual golf score of 105 is a far-from-soothing figure. "As a matter of fact, sometimes by the fourth hole I wish I were back at the house with the kids screaming. But any time I leave the house and don't invite my wife or kids -- whether it's for golf or bowling or picking up roadkill -- I'm just getting away."

Secret #3: We're unnerved by the notion of commitment, even after we've made one to you

This is a dicey one, so first things first: We love you to death. We think you're fantastic. Most of the time we're absolutely thrilled that we've made a lifelong vow of fidelity to you in front of our families, our friends and an expensive videographer.

But most of us didn't spend our formative years thinking, "Gosh, I just can't wait to settle down with a nice girl so we can grow old together." Instead we were obsessed with how many women who resembled Britney Spears we could have sex with before we turned 30. Generally it takes us a few years (or decades) to fully perish that thought.

Secret #4: Earning money makes us feel important

In more than 7.4 million U.S. marriages, the wife earns more than the husband -- almost double the number in 1981. This of course is a terrific development for women in the workplace and warmly embraced by all American men, right? Right?

Yeah, well, that's what we tell you. But we're shallow, competitive egomaniacs. You don't think it gets under our skin if our woman's bringing home more bacon than we are -- and frying it up in a pan?

"My wife and I are both reporters at the same newspaper," says Jeffrey Newton, 33, of Fayetteville, South Carolina. "Five years into our marriage I still check her pay stub to see how much more an hour I make than she does. And because she works harder, she keeps closing the gap."

Secret #5: Though we often protest, we actually enjoy fixing things around the house

I risk being shunned at the local bar if this magazine finds its way there, because few charades are as beloved by guys as this one. To hear us talk, the Bataan Death March beats grouting that bathroom shower. And, as 30-year-old Ed Powers of Chicago admits, it's a shameless lie. "In truth, it's rewarding to tinker with and fix something that, without us, would remain broken forever," he says. Plus we get to use tools.

"The reason we don't share this information," Powers adds, "is that most women don't differentiate between taking out the trash and fixing that broken hinge; to them, both are tasks we need to get done over the weekend, preferably during the Bears game. But we want the use-your-hands, think-about-the-steps-in-the-process, home-repair opportunity, not the repetitive, no-possibility-of-a-compliment, mind-dulling, purely physical task." There. Secret's out.

Secret #6: We like it when you mother us, but we're terrified that you'll become your mother

With apologies to Sigmund Freud, Gloria Steinem -- and my mother-in-law.

Secret #7: Every year we love you more

Sure, we look like adults. We own a few suits. We can probably order wine without giggling. But although we resemble our father when he was our age, we still feel like that 4-year-old clutching his pant leg.

With that much room left on our emotional-growth charts, we sense we've only begun to admire you in the ways we will when we're 40, 50 and -- God forbid -- 60. We can't explain this to you, because it would probably come out sounding like we don't love you now.

"It took at least a year before I really started to appreciate my wife for something other than just great sex; and I didn't discover her mind fully until the third year we were married," says Newton. "But the older and wiser I get, the more I love my wife." Adds J.P. Neal, 32, of Potomac, Maryland: "The for-richer-or-poorer, for-better-or-worse aspects of marriage don't hit you right away. It's only during those rare times when we take stock of our life that it starts to sink in."

Secret #8: We don't really understand what you're talking about

You know how, during the day, you sometimes think about certain deep, complex "issues" in your relationship? Then when you get home, you want to "discuss" these issues? And during these "discussions," your man sits there nodding and saying things like "Sure, I understand," "That makes perfect sense" and "I'll do better next time"?

Well, we don't understand. It doesn't make any sense to us at all. And although we'd like to do better next time, we could only do so if, in fact, we had an idea of what you're talking about.

We do care. Just be aware that the part of our brain that processes this stuff is where we store sports trivia.

Secret #9: We are terrified when you drive

Want to know how to reduce your big, tough guy to a quivering mass of fear? Ask him for the car keys.

"I am scared to death when she drives," says LaFlamme.

"Every time I ride with her, I fully accept that I may die at any moment," says Buckingham.

"My wife has about one 'car panic' story a week -- and it's never her fault. All these horrible things just keep happening -- it must be her bad luck," says Andy Beshuk, 31, of Jefferson City, Missouri.

Even if your man is too diplomatic to tell you, he is terrified that you will turn him into a crash-test dummy.

Secret #10: We'll always wish we were 25 again

Granted, when I was 25 I was working 16-hour days and eating shrimp-flavored Ramen noodles six times a week. But as much as we love being with you now, we will always look back fondly on the malnourished freedom of our misguided youth. "Springsteen concerts, the '91 Mets, the Clinton presidency -- most guys reminisce about the days when life was good, easy and free of responsibility," says Rob Aronson, 41, of Livingston, New Jersey, who's been married for 11 years. "At 25 you can get away with things you just can't get away with at 40."

While it doesn't mean we're leaving you to join a rock band, it does explain why we occasionally come home from Pep Boys with a leather steering-wheel cover and a Born to Run CD.

Secret #11: Give us an inch and we'll give you a lifetime

I was on a trip to Mexico, standing on a beach, waxing my surfboard and admiring the glistening 10-foot waves, when I decided to marry the woman who is now my wife. Sure, this was three years before I got around to popping the question. But that was when I knew.

Why? Because she'd let me go on vacation alone. Hell, she made me go. This is the most important thing a man never told you: If you let us be dumb guys, if you embrace our stupid poker night, if you encourage us to go surfing -- by ourselves -- our silly little hearts, with their manly warts and all, will embrace you forever for it.

And that's the truth.

 


__________________
Tony
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:


Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!